Dedicated to the singular goal of zero injuries, the purpose of the Occupational Safety Training Program (OS) is to promote increased safety in the work environment by producing well-educated occupational safety practitioners. Preparation of occupational safety practitioners is facilitated through promoting discovery, by emphasizing the transfer of knowledge to practice, and by maintaining strong relationships with industry, community, and other stakeholders
Funding from the Heartland Center – we’ll help pay for your graduate degree.
All students admitted to a Heartland Center training program are automatically considered for funding.
Financial support typically consists of a partial or full tuition payment and a monthly stipend.
Heartland Center funding is available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
Training Program Requirements
Students interested in the OS training program and in receiving the funding offered by the Heartland Center must satisfy the following requirements:
- Enrollment in one of the approved graduate degree programs at Iowa State University (listed below)
- Approval of the director of the OS training program
- Enrollment in the OS training program required courses
Approved degree programs for the OS Training Program:
- MS in Industrial and Agricultural Technology – Iowa State University
- PhD in Industrial and Agricultural Technology – Iowa State University
OS Training Program required courses for MS and PhD:
|TSM 579||Advanced Topics in Safety Program Administration||3 s.h.|
|TSM 575||Safety and Public Health Issues in Modern Society||2 s.h.|
|TSM 570||Industrial Hygiene: Physical, Chemical, and Biological Hazards||3 s.h.|
|TSM 577||Risk Analysis and Management||3 s.h.|
|OEH:5620||Occupational Health||3 s.h.|
|No Registration||Heartland Center Seminar*|
|GRST 565||Responsible Conduct of Research||1 s.h.|
|TSM 601||Graduate Seminar||1 s.h.|
* Heartland Center trainees must attend 4-5 designated seminars each semester on occupational health topics.
The first step is to be admitted to one of the following degree programs:
- MS or PhD in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering – Iowa State University
- Graduate Admission Requirements
- Graduate Application Process
Additionally, you will need the consent of the OS Program Director to enroll in this Heartland Center program.
For more information contact:
Nir Keren, Occupational Safety Program Director